Friday, May 9, 2008

MAJOR UPDATE

I finally have some time to update my blog. I've been super busy with school, church, work, socializing, etc. I can't believe it's already May. I noticed that I never updated in April...my bad.
Well, on April 11-14, CIEE went to Japan. We went to Osaka, Kyoto and Nara. It was really fun despite communication problems. I have posted pictures of Japan on facebook if you haven't noticed them already. Japan is extremely expensive, and I've decided to go back there once I make enough money. However, I'm not too crazy about Japanese food. I'm not into raw fish and seafood, so I'll probably be eating a lot of udon and shabu shabu the next time I go there.
What else happened. Before Japan I met up with my friend who was in Dallas last year. He had promised to introduce me to his friends before he entered the army, so I met him and his friends. We stayed out till like 4 AM walking around Chunggyechun Stream (청계천), the one that President Lee Myung Bak made. It is so pretty.




Anyway, I've learned a lot of Korean from them and they actually force me to use Korean. ^^ I'm very thankful for that since I seem to only speak English with my other friends, even if they're Korean.
So after I came back from Japan, I met up with them again. We went to Kyoungbok Palace. The museum was entertaining. I enjoyed it, and it was fun listening to my friends try to explain to me what everything was in Konglish.
What else has happened?
My cousin took me to my grandparents' grave in the mountain. My name is engraved on the back of the tombstone. My cousin wasn't joking about it. He said every time he came to their grave and would see my brothers' and my name on the back, and wonder who we are. He also thought it was amazing that he had relatives somewhere else in the world that he hasn't met. I learned a lot more about my family that day. My great grandfather was part of the independence movement, and he died somewhere in China. Nobody knows when or where. My grandfather never really knew him. My great grandmother knew Kim Ku. Kim Ku was one of the leaders of the independence movement, and he's going to be on the new 100,000 won bill. He's one of the greatest figures in Korean history. I thought that was pretty cool. My grandparents were both doctors, however, my grandpa died pretty young...around the same age that my dad died? I'm not sure. I also found out that my dad was lazy when he was young and that he had a hard time when he was living in the States. I had no idea. I thought my dad was the hardest working person ever. Never lazy. I really couldn't believe it when I heard that. I really want to know more about my dad and his family now. I also want to know about my mom's side of the family also. I realized how much I don't know about my family and it's history. I also found out that I probably have some relatives in North Korea.
Then midterms happened. I did a lot better than I thought I did on my midterms. I'm really pleased with my scores, and I hope I do better on the finals. =)
Last week, my friend and I went to a DVD room. They're intended for couples to watch movies in a room. The room was really pink and had hearts everywhere. My friend said that it was a really nice DVD room, and that that's the best one she's been to so far. We watched 아는 여자 (A Girl I Know). It was really funny.

That's what was on the wall of the room. LOL
Anyway, these days I've been really busy. I'm helping out with a TOEFL Study group, and it's early in the mornings. M-F 7:40 AM-8:50 AM. I'm just helping them out with the speaking and writing parts. I am also helping my cousin's wife at her English Academy for elementary school students, because she needed an native speaker to teach English. The kids are really cute, but I was exhausted by the end of the day. I'm also tutoring another one of my friends that went to Dallas last year also.
Tonight, I met up with the same friend that I went to the DVD room with and we tried chocolate pizza. Oh and on the way to the restaurant, we saw Solbi. She comes out on the TV show "We Got Married" (우리 결혼했어요), and is part of the singing group, Typhoon. I've never heard of them or anything. I've only seen her on TV. She's the first celebrity that I've seen in Korea. I'm sorry I couldn't get a picture of her. But she was getting interviewed and my friend and I might come out on TV also haha j/k. Anyway, the chocolate pizza was really sweet. It was goooooood, but too sweet. I'll post pictures of it next time. I haven't uploaded them onto my computer yet.
Oh yeah. I forgot to mention that I went to Daejeon finally last weekend (Children's Day Holiday). I went there with only the clothes I was wearing that day and whatever was in my purse. Why wasn't I prepared to go? My cousin never informed me ahead of time, so I was already at my uncle's house (dad's side) when they called me to say that they were going to Daejeon that day. It takes an hour for me to get to my uncle's from Sinchon, so I was like great! I can't go back home to get my things, since they're going to pick me up here. -_- I felt bad having to leave my uncle's to go to Daejeon all of a sudden, but I had to go so I could see my mom's side of the family and my grandma. My grandma is living at a nursing home. She's a lot older and sicker than I thought. Two years ago, she was so healthy and strong. It kind of hurt to see her in the state that she's in. She can't get up on her own anymore. I wish I could go see her more often. I bet she's lonely, and I wish that my mom would be able to come to Korea to take care of her before anything else happens. I know that my mom wants to see her and take care of her. ='(
I'm hoping that I can go to Daejeon again with a friend in 2 weeks.
Next week is Akaraka, a festival at Yonsei. Big Bang and Girl's Generation are coming to perform. I'm really excited about that =D
Anyway, I'm tired. Time is really going by too fast.

No comments: