Friday, March 7, 2008

First Week of School

Alright! I'm done with my first week of school, while everyone in the states is starting their spring break lol. Well, I like my Korean language class, but so far it's been easy so I'm going to look through the book to see if I should ask to move up. But I think I'm going to end up just staying in my level, because there are some phrases that I probably don't know and I don't want to skip them because i moved up a level. We'll see.
What else happened? I randomly signed up for all these clubs with my friends. I have no idea which ones I signed up for, but they will text me when the meetings are. ^^ Thursday night, my friends and I went to this 'JazzFeel' performance. We thought it was a jazz club meeting, but it turned out to be a performance. It was pretty entertaining. Everyone would yell, "[Name], FIGHTING!" It got really annoying, but that's how they do it here in Korea I guess. We left halfway through.
So Pizza Hut or any American restaurant in Korea is super expensive. Books are super cheap. O_O My $25 textbook would probably cost $100 in the U.S. And the copy books are super nice!!!!! The one I got for my pop culture class was only $10. In the states, it would probably cost about $100 also. Geez. I wish books were cheap in America like it is here in Korea. I wonder why it's so much cheaper. And so is food. Maybe because Korea doesn't have a public school system and have had to pay for school since elementary school, so they make books and food cheap. Just a theory.
Friday night, my friends and I were trying to find a samgyupsal (Korean bacon) restuarant, and I was standing outside of one restaurant looking at the pictures, and the owner comes and tells me to just come in...that her food is really good. There wasn't anyone in the restaurant yet, and it wasn't just plain samgyupsal that we wanted. It was spicy samgyupsal. But she sucked us in and we ate there. We got to draw on the walls which was fun! And her food was good. She gave us free soda and etc. The food and the restaurant didn't smell like she said hehe. I will go back there one day with more people. I also learned that soju is really icky and strong. We three girls shared one bottle, and we were feeling pretty good after that. It's so gross though. It's like straight alcohol...it tasted like what i would think rubbing alcohol would taste like. Yuck. Never again. Only flavor soju for me please. And not that much of that either. I'm not much of a drinker. But that seems to be Korea's favorite pastime. After that, we had some fruit yogurt at Red Mango. MMM so good! So many good restaurants in Korea~~
This morning, I had a Culture Shock workshop that we, CIEE members, had to go to. Then we ate lunch at the hospital, and it was relatively cheap there and pretty good. Well, I liked what I had. I was so hungry cuz I haven't been eating right lately since I was sick a couple of days ago. Then I ended up going to a language exchange meeting, but I hadn't signed up for that so I didn't have a buddy. I ended up leaving. I gave them my contact info, but I'm not too sad if they don't find me someone, because I'm sure I can find someone to help me with my Korean and I help them with their English at church...etc...Then I finally got a little bit of shopping done. I went to the FaceShop to get makeup remover and to Artbox to get a cute planner. The English doesn't make sense on it, but it's really cute! Oh and at the FaceShop they gave me free cotton pads. I was really glad that I didn't have to go buy some. ^^
Tonight I finally got to meet last year's short term missionary. It was really good to see him and talk about last year. He treated me to yogurt soju and chicken wings. It was good. And tomorrow I get to see two years ago short term missionary. She's going to take me to church. I feel like I received a lot of grace. After church tomorrow, I'm going to go see my aunt and uncle in Bundang. I'm glad that they're taking care of me so well. God really answered my prayers about my family. I was so worried that they wouldn't care about me, but they're always calling and asking if I need anything. I'm really thankful. I just hope I meet more Korean people as time goes by.

No comments: